Tutorial on how to use displacement map PSD files as a source for textures / texturizer filter in Photoshop CC CS6 CS5 CS4 etc seamless tiles
The texturizer filter is a powerful filter included in the Photoshop filter gallery and can be used to create amazing texture effects with any image or text etc.
The tool uses displacement maps
They are seamless tiles on graphicxtras.com (you can find many of the displacement maps for Photoshop and elements and psp etc).
They are all in PSD format for use in Photoshop as well as PSP and many others. The displacement maps on this site are all in grayscale image mode
The texturizer filter in Photoshop can be found via
1) You can use the texturizer via the standard filter menu depending on the preference set in the plugins section of Photoshop preferences or (more likely)
2) access the texturizer filter via the filter menu and filter gallery
3) go to the texture section and select the texturizer
4) By default there are a few textures already included such as sandstone etc but you can go to the little texture side menu and use the load texture
5) Browse for a PSD file
6) Select one
7) select scaling
8) select relief and light direction (as well as invert or not)
As with all the other filters that use displacement maps, the choice of possible textures can be unlimited (you can find many on the website as well as on a variety of sites on the web as well as ones that have been included in Photoshop - if they are still there, there used to be a small selection of PSD files; you can also create your own PSD files.
9) apply the texturizer
As with any filters, you can repeat apply the effect as well as change the settings or combine with other filter effects as with the image on the left with two applications of the effect and a gaussian blur mixed in
You can use the texturizer filter as a smart filter by converting a layer into a smart object and then adding texturizer filter effects as smart filters (as well as combined with other smart filters and adjustments).
The beauty of the smart filter is that the filter can be quickly deleted as well as the settings changed so the relief can be altered or the scaling changed or the texture changed.
You can use the filter with color channels and separate color channels
1) display channels panel (window menu)
2) select the red channel
3) apply the Photoshop texturizer filter - perhaps select a different displacement map and scaling
4) select the green channel
5) apply texturizer etc with different settings
and so on
See the result of two different displacements used in red and green channels
You can find many tutorials on the site such as how to create amazing